The ever-increasing amount of waste vinyl is causing big environmental problems. In particular, those from farming industry are sometimes left on site or even illegally reclaimed due to the lack of environmental concerns and capacity for collection, which worsens the situation. It is, therefore, believed that the recycling of waste vinyl is the most ideal solution in the viewpoint of environmental preservation. In this context, the potential of vinyl strip as a ground reinforcing material is investigated to expand the application of waste vinyl recycling. In this study, a series of uniaxial compression tests and resonant column tests were performed for sand specimens reinforced with vinyl strips and cement to investigate their reinforcing effects on static and dynamic behaviors. The changes in the uniaxial compressive strength (UCS), the shear modulus and the damping ratio according to the mixing ratio of vinyl strips and cements were analysed for sand specimens, having 40% and 60% relative densities, under various mixing conditions. As a result, both the static and dynamic reinforcing effects of vinyl strip-cement mixture were confirmed and the optimum mixing ratio was proposed.
날로 늘어가는 폐비닐은 가장 큰 환경문제가 되어가고 있으며, 특히 농촌에서 발생하는 영농폐비닐은 수거인력 부족 및 재활용 인식부족 등으로 농경지에 방치 혹은 불법매립 되어, 이로 인한 문제점이 갈수록 심화되고 있다. 따라서 폐비닐은 재활용하는 것이 환경보전의 관점에서 가장 이상적이며, 본 연구에서는 폐비닐 재활용의 적용범위를 보다 확장시키기 위한 사전연구로 비닐스트립의 지반보강재로서의 적용성을 분석하였다. 본 연구에서는 비닐스트립과 시멘트로 보강된 모래시편에 대한 일축압축강도시험과 공진주/비틂전단시험을 수행하여 정적 및 동적 보강효과를 분석하였다. 상대밀도 40%와 60%의 모래질 흙에 다양한 보강조건의 시편을 제작하여 비닐스트립 혼합률과 시멘트 혼합률에 따른 일축압축강도와 전단탄성계수/감쇠비의 변화를 분석하였다. 시험결과 비닐스트립-시멘트 혼합 보강기법의 정적 및 동적 보강효과를 확인하였고, 비닐스트립 및 시멘트의 최적 혼합조건을 제시하였다.
- Korea environment corporation (2016), Research of agriculture waste in 2015(in korean), KECO2016-RE02-17.
- Korea federation of plastic industry cooperatives (2018), Polyethylene films for agriculture, SPS-KPS M 1001-0806:2018.
- Babu, G.L.S. and Chouksey, S.K. (2011), "Stress-strain Response of Plastic Waste Mixed Soil", Waste Management, Vol.31, pp. 481-488.10.1016/j.wasman.2010.09.01820951022
- Botero, E., Ossa, A., Sherwell, G., and Ovando-Shelley, E. (2015), "Stressestrain behavior of a Silty Soil Reinforced with Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)", Geotextiles and Geomembranes, Vol.43, pp. 363-369.10.1016/j.geotexmem.2015.04.003
- Chebet, F.C. and Kalumba, D. (2014), "Laboratory Investigation on Re-using Polyethylene (plastic) Bag Waste Material for Soil Reinforcement in Geotechnical Engineering", Civil Engineering and Urban Planning: An International Journal (CiVEJ), Vol.1, No.1.
- Cho, Y.W. and Kim, D.S. (2005), "Dynamic Deformation Characteristics of Sands under Various Drainage Conditions", J. of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.21, No.3, pp.27-42.
- Choudhary, A.K., Jha, J.N., and Gill, K.S. (2010), "A Study on cbr behavior of Waste Plastic Strip Reinforced Soil", Emirates Journal for Engineering Research, 15(1), pp.51-57.
- Consoli, N.C., Montardo, J.P., Prietto, P.D.M., and Pasa, G.S. (2002), "Engineering behavior of a Sand Reinforced with Plastic Waste", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol.128, pp.462-472.10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2002)128:6(462)
- Dutta, R.K. and Sarda, V.K. (2007), "CBR behaviour of Waste Plastic Strip-reinforced Stone Dust/fly ash Overlying Saturated Clay", Turkish J. Eng. Env. Sci. 31, pp.171-182.
- Huh, K.H. and Baek, J.Y. (2005), "Dynamic behavior of Unsaturated Decomposed Granite Soils under Low Shear Strain Amplitude", J. of Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, Vol.5, No.2, pp.57-63.
- Kato, T., Ochiai, H., Yasufuku, N., Omine, K., and Ohno, S. (1995), "Effects of Improvement of Cement-treated Soils Mixed with Plastic Pieces", Technology Reports of Kyushu University, Vol.68, No.6 (in Japanese).
- Kim, Y.S., Ko, H.W., Kim, J.H., and Lee, J.G. (2012), "Dynamic Deformation Characteristics of Joomunjin Standard Sand Using Cyclic Triaxial Test", J. of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.28, No.12, pp.53-64.10.7843/kgs.2012.28.12.53
- Sobhan, K. and Mashnad, M. (2003), "Mechanical Stabilization of Cemented Soil-fly Ash Mixtures with Recycled Plastic Strips", Journal of Environmental Engineering, Vol.129, No.10, pp.943-947.10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9372(2003)129:10(943)